27 July 2013

First tests with high temp extruder





I did some testing with hp_'s ceramic hotend
It came with a 24V/30W heater cartridge.





Read on after the break.


I also had my new extruder electronics ready, which supports k-type thermocouples.
so theoretically I could go up to 1100 degrees Celsius.

As you can see in the photo above, 1st thing I did was clamp the hotend in a vice and put a good radial blower on top of the hotend.


As The circuit to control the K- type thermocouple was a AD597 and it basically outputs 1V for 100 degrees Celsius, I could "only" go up to 500 degrees Celsius as the AD597 was powered by 5V.

First I set it to 250 degrees, that took about 30 seconds to reach.

Then I upped it with 50 degrees increments, and everything was fine till 400 degrees Celsius.
When I set it to 450 it went to 430 with reasonable speed, but after that, it started to take forever.
I eventually got it to 434 and that was it. The limit of the heater cartridge was reached.



So I set it to 425 and that held perfectly.
The top of the hotend that was actively cooled could be touched.
Everything below that was HOT!!



 
There is however a 24V/40W heater, so there is room for improvement.

If you are asking yourself : Why would you want to go that hot?
Same answer as ever : Because I can :)

5 comments:

  1. I make a thermal wrap for that hot end that can help you get up to temp quicker, or get to higher temps, if you wanted. It prevents the blower air from robbing too much heat from where you actually want to keep the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always interested in new and cool things !!
      Just send me an e-mail

      Delete
    2. I might be going blind, but I'm going in circles and can't find your email address.

      Anyway, I have the item posted here:
      http://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/hot-end-wrap-for-chess-head

      Sorry to post it in the open.

      Delete
    3. I would be happy to send you a sample to test.

      Delete
    4. I have sent you an email with my contact details

      Delete